The parish was mentioned in the Domesday Book and its name derives from the Saxon “village by the stream”.The parish contains a long barrow at Adam’s Grave, a section of the Wansdyke and a famous white horse, cut in 1812.
The tiny church is Saxon and was much rebuilt in the 18th century. There is a fine 16th century tie-beamed and windbraced roof, a Georgian gallery and some interesting monuments. There are several stained glass panels, including work of Laurence Whistler.
The canalside hamlet of Honeystreet grew up round the timber and boat yards in the 19th century.